New leisure facilities in Derby
Tue 17 Sep 2013
Derby’s Leisure Strategy will result in the most exciting and important changes to leisure facilities in Derby in the last 40 years. Not only will the new changes place Derby firmly on the sporting map but it will also provide people with high class facilities to be proud of.
Derby Arena is scheduled to open early in 2015 and will offer the following facilities:
- 250m indoor cycle track suitable for individual, club, school, group and business track sessions, track leagues, and local, regional, national and international track events. The cycle track itself is made out of Siberian Pine and designed by Velotrack.
- An indoor sports-hall the size of 12 badminton courts, suitable for activities such as badminton, basketball, netball, football and volleyball.
- A cyclist’s D area in the infield, track bike storage, track bike hire and a bike workshop.
- A state of art 125-station gym, two exercise studios and indoor cycling studio offering a weekly programme of classes.
- Meeting and hospitality rooms available for hire.
- A café and a bar.
- Fixed seating for 1500 people.
- Fully accessible changing rooms.
The Arena won’t only serve as a sporting venue but it will also be used as a venue for cultural events, exhibitions, product launches and conferences. Derby Arena will be able to accommodate up to 5000 people (seated and standing) for events.
The facilities will soon become the beacons of excellence in the city and will form the focal point of regeneration for Derby.
Have you ever wondered what it is like to have a go on a cycling track? Whether you are novice or an elite athlete there will always be sessions available for you to choose from. Find out more.