Here at Derby Arena, we understand that after making the decision to become fitter and healthier, taking those first steps into the gym can be intimidating.
We want to make your experience in our gym an enjoyable one so we have put together some advice to help you become a confident gym user and achieve your fitness goals.
What to bring and wear
- You will need to wear suitable gym attire. This should include either shorts or leggings and a comfortable t shirt. You should also wear a good fitting pair of trainers. Please avoid wearing jeans or any tight fitting, restrictive clothing to the gym as you may feel uncomfortable.
- If you have already received your membership card, please remember to bring this with you on each visit to allow swift and easy access via our fast track machines
- We advise that you bring a water bottle and a flannel/towel with you
- If you wish to make the most of our Unity touchscreens, please bring a set of headphones, as this will allow you to listen to your favourite music or watch TV programmes while exercising on some of our cardio equipment.
- You will require a padlock to securely put your belongings in a locker. You may be able to purchase one from reception at a charge of £4.50
- If you wish to use our showers after your gym session, please bring a towel and toiletries with you
Good to know information
- Some of our equipment works with a Technogym key fob only. These are charged at a one off payment of £8.50 with direct debit memberships and £10 for pay as you go and can be purchased anytime from reception
- Car parking at the arena is free for 3 hours. Take a ticket on arrival at the car park and you can validate it at reception after your gym induction/ workout
What to expect on my gym induction
- You will have been allocated a time slot for your gym induction – this will be one to one with a health and wellbeing instructor (unless you wish to come with someone)
- Please ensure you arrive 10 minutes before your allocated time slot so that the reception staff can sign you in and make sure you have all the information you need
- You will be asked to complete a health questionnaire by the gym staff, this is nothing to worry about and allows the gym staff to know if you have any medical conditions they need to be made aware of
- Our health and wellbeing team will help you set up your ‘mywellness’ account to get you going on our equipment. You will require an email address for this process.
- You will then be shown in detail how to use the equipment and have a go. This is a great opportunity to ask any questions you may have and learn your way around our gym
How can I make the most of my membership and get the results I want?
- Once you are feeling confident in our gym and have completed a few sessions, be sure to look out for our fast classes taking place on the gym floor throughout the day. These are instructor led, 15-20 minutes of training to push you in a small group and it’s totally free to gym members.
- Make sure you have a goal and set yourself a target date to achieve this by. This will help you stay motivated. Ask an instructor if you are unsure how to set yourself a SMART goal.
- Get yourself booked in for regular programme reviews. Did you know that all gym programmes are included FREE with your membership? This is a great opportunity to get a personalised programme written just for your goals by one of our health and wellbeing advisors. You can book in anytime- just speak to our gym team or book at reception.
- If you want to mix up your gym routine with other exercises to keep it fun, why not take a look at our group exercise programme and have a go at a class. It’s only £2 per month extra to include group exercise on your membership!
- If you are not sure or want help and advice, please speak to our health and wellbeing advisors who will be more than happy to help you.