Fun in the Sun in Derby's Parks
Mon 18 Jul 2016
As a mini heatwave sweeps across the UK temperatures are set to soar with Tuesday being the hottest day of the year so far! Temperatures are expected to reach 29/30°! We are expecting a busy day across Derby’s parks and especially at Markeaton Park which is a great place to visit on a sunny day! Markeaton covers over 207 acres of parkland and attracts over one million visitors a year and tomorrow we are expecting to see lots of you!
The good news is the paddling pool is ready to go; it’s clean and fresh, the freezers are full of yummy ice-creams and the fridges bursting with cool, refreshing drinks.
We are urging all visitors and their children to make sure they stay safe in the sun, have plenty of drinks, (the kiosk and café are open from 9.30am – 4.30pm). Always use sunscreen and reapply it regularly, especially with children being in and out of the water. Wear a hat and cover up with suitable clothing and don’t forget to spend some time out of the sun especially between the hours of 11am and 3pm.
There is lots to do at Markeaton Park for children and people of all ages:
- Mundy Play Centre, is a children’s paradise, it has donkey rides, canoes (under 13s), crazy golf, bouncy castle (under 12s), electric cars/bikes (under 11s) and of course it’s ever popular paddling pool.
- There is Pitch and Putt Golf, this is a full 18 hole course. Tickets and equipment hire is available from the kiosk next to the course.
- Football Pitches, tennis courts and a skate park.
- Light Railway
- Rowing boats and pedalos.
- Closer to the Edge High Ropes
- The Craft Village, is a delight with a whole range of unique and creative businesses.
The newly refurbished Orangery Café is open from 9.30am – 4.30pm serving a range of snacks and meals including breakfast cobs, homemade savoury pastries, a range of sandwiches, freshly baked pizzas, cakes and ice creams.