Thu 7 Jan 2021
Take a step forward into 2021, with Derby Active step challenge!
Mental health is important right now and this challenge will help you to stay active by walking, socialising through our virtual platforms and at the same time having a friendly competition to achieve the final target.
At the end of each week, the collective steps for each participant will be counted and updated on our social media platforms.
We are setting the challenge to collectively walk 2 million steps over 21 days!
Walk on your own, with the dog, as a family or with partners, we just want to help you all get active, so join us!
The challenge starts on Monday 11 January until 31 January.
How to join in:
Just record your accumulative steps at the end of each week and post them on our social media channel here @ https://www.facebook.com/derbyarena/
We will then post each Monday the collective steps achieved.
Lets stride out together!
Please ensure you walk safely and follow Government Guidance.
A good walk can do wonders for your mental wellbeing.
It improves self-perception and self-esteem, mood and sleep quality, and it reduces stress, anxiety and fatigue. Physically active people have up to a 30% reduced risk of becoming depressed, and staying active helps those who are depressed recover.
Here are a few websites to visit that have walking tips and support.
NHS walking for health
Minds, how nature can benefit Health
Derby Active at Home
Support on achieving 10,000 steps a day
10,000 Steps a day, what does it mean and how do I achieve this?
We have all heard the 10,000 steps a day initiative, but what would that translate to in everyday life and how can you achieve this target?
In reality every step you take works towards this target, so make the most of each and every step. By making a few simple lifestyle changes you can add daily steps towards this target. If you want to record your step count then ensure your fitness device is switched on, or purchase a simple pedometer and remember to wear it as soon as you wake up.
Here are some ideas about how to get those steps in:-
- If you have an active job then steps on the job count towards that total goal (our well-being advisors can cover several thousand steps on a gym shift).
- Dance put on those dance tracks and let your inner grooves shine through
- Ensure that you take your daily exercise by taking a walk outdoors, not only will this add to your step total but is also good for your soul and wellbeing
- Log onto the many online classes on offer from our fantastic Derby Active team
- Walk to the local shops instead of taking the car
- Choose to use the upstairs bathroom instead of the downstairs one throughout the day
- If working at home make sure you are distanced from the kettle so you have to walk to make a drink
- If working at home take regular breaks, get up off your seat and walk around, up and downstairs a few times
- If you are hanging out your washing take one or two garments at a time and keep walking back into the washer to peg out more
- Vacuum the house from top to bottom, not only does it add to your step count but you will feel a sense of satisfaction in your sparkling house
Finally 10,000 steps a day started as an initiative to get people active so set yourself a challenge – decide on a daily goal of X steps and see how long it takes to hit that goal by timing yourself from that 1st step to your goal step and then tomorrow try and beat it by either adding more steps or beating the time.
Remember we are all individuals and therefore our goals are ours to own and take responsibility for. You are in charge of your health and fitness, whilst the Derby active team can help you and be your catalyst, ultimately your health and wellbeing is down to YOU, so STEP away folks and happy dancing