Our Cycle Hub has a range of equipment for hire; we can repair your bike; and we even have space to store your personal track bike.
At the Arena we want to ensure you get the best experience possible, therefore we have made sure we have all equipment needed in-house available for hire - see our Programme and Prices page for details. There are a great selection of track bikes, helmets and gloves to choose from.
Can I use my own track bike?
The Arena reserves the right to inspect your bike and equipment prior to use. Please ensure your bike is clean and meets the specification for the track.
If your bike or equipment is not suitable for your activity, where possible, you will be able to hire a bike or equipment at an additional cost.
If you choose to use your own bike/equipment, you do so at your own risk and the Arena will not be liable for any damage or loss to it while it is at the Arena.
Cycling helmets must be worn for all cycling acitivites. All helmets must meet the applicable British safety standard (currently BS EN 1078:1997).
Your helmet must not have a peak or anything attached to it if you are using the Velodrome track.
The specifications required for Derby Arena’s track are:
- only purpose made track bikes may be ridden on the velodrome track
- the bike must be in good condition and undamaged
- the bike must be the correct size for the rider
- a fixed wheel drivetrain
- 165mm (170mm for pursuit) cranks with 280mm (11”) or greater bottom bracket height (measured from floor to centre of bottom bracket)
- the frame must not have braze-ons or extraneous fittings
- the frame must have track ends
- tyres/tubulars must be in good condition
- tyres/tubulars must be 21-25mm wide
- tyres/tubulars must not have coloured tread
- tyres/tubulars must be cleaned before entering the track
- no dual compounds are not permitted
- tyres/tubulars must be correctly inflated to the manufacturer’s specifications
- tubulars must be correctly glued and not taped
- new tyres/tubulars must be cleaned with white vinegar or isopropyl alcohol prior to use on the track
- the wheels must be of the same size front and rear
- the wheels must be spoked (not disc) for all taster and accreditation sessions
- the handlebars must be drop bars and have bar tape/grips and bar-ends (aerobars are permitted only in specific sessions)
- brake levers or callipers must not be fitted
- spare sprockets must not be fitted to double sided hubs
- quick release wheel axles are not permitted
- wheel axles should not extend beyond the track nuts
- mandatory gearing for all riders on taster sessions - 84” (47x15 or 50x16)
- the chain tension should be tight enough to avoid derailing but not so tight it ‘binds’ the drivetrain
- chain, sprocket and chainring should not be excessively worn
- devices such as bike computers or digital displays must not be visible to the rider whilst riding.
To make sure your track bike meets our track requirements, please get in touch with our cycle team in advance of your visit, by emailing email@example.com.
Why not see our repair team to get your track bike in tip top condition? Our repairs team are on hand to help you solve any problems affecting your bike.
Track bike storage
If you're looking for somewhere to store your bike safely then look no further, we have the perfect facility for it. Our cycle hub has secure storage units available for hire. By storing your bike and equipment with us you will avoid the hassle of transporting it back and forth for track sessions. Even more, this option will provide you with a peace of mind, knowing that you bike is safe.
Contact the cycle hub
To find out more about any of our services, please contact the cycle hub on firstname.lastname@example.org.